Sunday, June 15, 2008

Well, the health care is decent...



Greetings from a Malaysian Hospital - I bet not that many people can add that to their list of things done over the summer. Well, somewhere between the Leisure Hunt and the Night Market, the devil disguised as an ice drink attacked me. After seeing my Malaysian cuisine more times than intended Friday night, I thought I'd be better by the morning... so I walked down to the lobby and promptly vom-laysia-ed in a pewter flower pot by the koi pond. Still persistent to join the countryside bike tour, I put on my helmet for the bike trip but passed out on some Malay woman's love seat instead. Everyone kind of figured I needed more assistance than a nap, so off to the clinic I went. Despite my brave attempts, I could not overpower the diagnosis of food poisoning and severe dehydration. About twelve checks of my blood pressure later, I was sent to the ER for 2 bags of fluids, intended for a check out time within 4 hours. At about the 6 and a half hour mark, the nurse removed the second bag with a good 100cc's left, joking that we should split that bag among my visitors to speed the process. Although my souvenir shopping was limited by my firsthand account of foreign health care - Andy did buy me a lovely sunflower to brighten my day. I was accompanied by my loyal friend Caroline Fisher - endless thanks for laughing at my morbid hospital jokes while I was hooked up to the IV. As well as photographer, Sarah, and comedian, Andy Reynolds. What a wonderful memory of Malais-ya. Now what to do with all those Malaysian ringets I cashed out?

1 comment:

LD said...

Catherine, for weeks your blog has portrayed you as a malais-ian sicky. We know better based on your euphoric e-mails. We are not encouraging you to shirk your class work, or even the enjoyment of the fish paste du jour, but a new photo on the blog would be inspiring. LD